For the base:-
- Butter – 100 grams (chilled)
- Icing/Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- All purpose flour – 1.75 cups
- Egg – 1 small
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Chilled water – 1-2 tbsps.
For the coconut filling:-
- Butter – 100 grams; melted
- Caster sugar – 3/4 to 1 cup
- egg – 2 numbers
- Coconut essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Desiccated coconut – 1 cup
- coconut flakes- as required ( I just shredded a piece of coconut with a grater)
- Sift together the plain flour and salt.
- Mix together the sifted flour mixture and icing sugar. Add the chilled butter and mix gently till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add egg, essence and chilled water and mix till the whole thing comes together in the form of a dough. Wrap the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Take the chilled dough and roll it into a circle of 1/4″ thickness. Cut out circles from the rolled out dough using a sharp lid. The circles should be a little bit bigger than the base of the tart molds. Place the circles in mini tart molds. Prick the base and sides of the tarts with a fork.
- Bake at 190C for 15 minutes till golden brown in colour. Let the tart cool down completely to room temperature before filling with the coconut mixture.
- Beat together the melted butter, egg, coconut essence, caster sugar and coconut cream. Fold in the desiccated coconut and mix. Pour the coconut mixture into the tart shells. Sprinkle flaked coconut on top of the coconut mixture.
- Bake the tarts at 180C for 20 minutes. The coconut mixture would be a little jiggly even after the baking time of 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
This recipe will make 6 bread cones. The dough is richer than a regular bread dough.
For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 11/2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1 level tsp.
- Butter – 2 tbsps.; melted
- Milk powder – 1 tbsp.
- Lukewarm milk– 1/2 cup
- Egg – half a big egg
- Sugar –1.5 level tbsps
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.
- Sunflower/ Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Lukewarm water – as required
For the filling
- Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup
- Chicken – 250 grams, boiled with salt and pepper and shredded
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup; chopped
- Tomato ketchup -1 tbsp.
- Mustard paste – 1 tsp.
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt and pepper powder to taste
- Chopped cabbage/lettuce for garnish
- For the dough, mix together the plain flour, egg, melted butter, oil, milk powder, yeast, sugar, salt, lukewarm milk and water. Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours/ till the dough doubles in volume. The dough has to be really, really soft.
- While the dough is resting, make the cone shaped molds using chart paper and foil as shown in the picture. Use a stapler pin to secure the ends of the cone.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Punch down the risen dough and roll it into a big rectangle of 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut the rectangle into long strips or ropes of 1/2″ thickness.
- Take a cone shaped mold and wet it’s base.Starting from the bottom tip of the cone mold, start rolling the ‘rope’ round and round the mold keeping the spirals close to each other. You need to cover 3/4th of the mold with the ‘rope’. Repeat to make 5 more bread cones. Keep in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Apply egg wash and bake the cones (with the cone molds) at 190C for 17 minutes/ till the cones turn golden brown in colour. Apply melted butter on the hot cones and keep them covered for a few minutes. Remove the baked bread cones from the molds.
- For the filling, mix together mayonnaise, salt & pepper to taste, garlic clove , 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp of mustard paste, chopped capsicum, oregano, red chilli flakes and 250 grams of boneless & skinless chicken breasts ( boiled with salt & pepper & shredded) in a bowl.Divide this mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Stuff the cones with the chicken mixture. Garnish with shredded cabbage and serve immediately.
This recipe will make 6 burgers.
For the burger patties:-
- Chicken mince – 500 grams
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tbsp.
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic – 4 big cloves (pasted)
- Ginger paste- 1/2 tsp.
- Thyme – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – 1.5 tsp. (approx.)
- Egg- 1/2 a medium; beaten
- Bread – 2 slices soaked in 1/4 cup of milk for 15 minutes, squeezed and crumbled
- Bread crumbs – as required
- Oil – 1/4 cup; for shallow frying the patties
For the coleslaw:-
- Cabbage – 1 cup; shredded
- Mayo – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – a pinch
- pepper powder – 1/4 tsp.
For assembling the burger:-
- Burger bun –6 numbers
- Butter – as needed
- Tomato ketchup – 6 tsps.
- Cheddar Cheese slices – 6 numbers
- Onion rings – 6 numbers
- Tomato slices – 6 numbers
Let’s make the patties first
- Pulse the chicken mince with Worcestershire sauce, garlic paste, ginger paste, thyme, oregano, pepper powder, egg, the crumbled bread slices and salt by using a food processor. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a circle of 3″diameter and 1 cm thickness. Coat the burger patties with bread crumbs.
- Heat 4 tbsps. of oil in a broad pan and shallow-fry each patty till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. This will take only about 2 minutes per side. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
For the coleslaw
Mix together all the ingredients written under “for the coleslaw“.
To assemble the burger
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the inside of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tawa (griddle). Keep aside.
- Apply 1 tbsp of the coleslaw on the buttered side of all the lower bun halves.
- Apply tomato ketchup on the buttered side of all the upper bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-spread side facing up.
- Place a patty over it. Place a cheese slice over the hot patty.
- Place onion and tomato rings over the cheese slice and cover with upper half of the bun with the buttered side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more burgers.
For the saucy chicken fry :-
- Chicken – 200 grams ( Boneless, skinless breast pieces), cut into small cubes
- Salt – 1/2 tsp / to taste
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Paprika powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Tandoori masala powder – 1 tbsp. ( I used Natco Brand)
- Plain flour – 1 tbsp.
- Garlic paste – 1/2 heaping tsp.
- Sambal Oelek – 1 tbsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsps. to shallow fry the chicken cubes
For the rice:-
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup (soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained)
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Boiling water – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Garlic – 1/2 tbsp.; chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 tbsp; chopped
- Green capsicum – 1 /2 a medium; chopped
- Carrot – half a medium; chopped
- Sweet corn – 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce – 1/2 tbsp.
- pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Vinegar -1 tsp.
- Sweet chilli sauce – 1 tbsp.
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup; chopped
First prepare the chicken:- Marinate the chicken cubes with all the ingredients from 2 to 9 written under “for the saucy chicken fry” for at least 30 minutes. Heat oil in a frying pan & fry the chicken till browned on both the sides. Remove the fried chicken cubes from the pan & keep aside.
Then prepare the rice:- Heat oil and add the rice. Fry the rice for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat. Add boiling water and salt & cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
The final step:- To the same pan used for frying the chicken, add 1 more tbsp. of oil & add the chopped ginger and garlic. Cook till they start to change colour. Add the chopped carrot, capsicum and sweet corn and fry for 2 minutes on medium high heat. Stir in the chicken ad mix. Add the cooked rice, vinegar, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, pepper powder and cilantro. Toss well to combine.