For the rice
- Basmathi rice – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp.
- Cloves – 3 numbers
- Green cardamom – 3 numbers
- Cinnamon – one 2″ stick
- Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp.
- Onion – 3 numbers, medium; thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp.
- Boiling chicken stock/water – 4 cups
- Salt as needed
- Sugar – a pinch
For the chicken tikka
- Chicken – 500 grams ( Boneless, skinless breast pieces), cubed
- Salt – 1.5 tsp / to taste
- Thick hung curd – 1/2 cup (prepared from 1 cup of curd)
- Ginger paste – 1 heaping tsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 heaping tsp.
- Kasoori methi – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 – 3/4 heaping tsp.
- Paprika powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Cinnamon powder – 1/8 tsp.
- Black salt – 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp.
- Orange red food color – a pinch
- Butter – 40 grams, melted
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup; chopped
- Water – 2 tbsps.
- Soak the basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain all the water from the rice & keep aside.
- Heat oil & add the cumin seeds and the whole spices. Stir in the garlic paste, ginger paste, sliced onions and greenchilly. Cook till the onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Stir in the rice & fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add boiling water / chicken stock & salt & bring to a second boil.
- Cover cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients written under “for chicken tikka”( except butter, cilantro and water) for atleast 2 hours in your refrigerator/ preferably overnight in your freezer. Thread the marinated chicken pieces on bamboo skewers and bake in a 210C preheated oven at 210C for 24 minutes. Bast the chicken pieces with the melted butter and any left over marinade in between the cooking time. Heat the butter in a frying pan & stir in the baked chicken pieces. Cook on medium low heat till the chicken pieces are nicely coloured. Give a dum of coal. Add 2 tbsps. of water and the cilantro & mix.
- Gently mix the chicken tikka with the cooked rice.
Source :- Annie’s kitchen, recipe slightly modified
This curry goes well with pathiri, rice and chapathi.
- Grated coconut – 2 cups
- Drumstick leaves – 3 cups
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Cardamom – 1 number
- Cloves – 2 numbers
- Cinnamon – one 1″ piece
- Onion – 1 big/ 1 cup
- Curry leaf – 2 sprigs
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece
- Greenchilly -3 numbers
- Cilantro – 2 tbsps.
- Extract 2 cups of thin coconut milk & 1 cup of thick coconut milk from the grated coconut.
- Grind together the greenchillies, ginger, cilantro and curry leaves to a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil in a broad non-stick pan. Add the whole spices and stir in the thinly sliced onion.Fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the ground green paste and cook for 7 minutes till the oil starts to separate.
- Add the drumstick leaves and salt. Cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat till the leaves are wilted.
- Add the thin coconut milk and let it boil. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or till the gravy turns really thick.
- Remove from heat and add the thick coconut milk.
- Serve hot with chapathi/ pathiri/rice.
- Chicken – 500 grams, boneless; cut into small cubes
- Oil – for shallow frying the chicken
- Onion – 2 medium; cut into bite size cubes
- Green capsicum – half of a medium; chopped
- Garlic – 5 big cloves; minced
- Ginger – 1 tsp.; chopped finely
- Greenchilly – 1 number; slit
- Eastern chilly chicken masala – 1 level tbsp.
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp.
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsps.
- Red Chilly sauce – 1 tsp.
- Water – 1 tea mug/ 300ml.
- Cornflour – 2 level tbsps. mixed with 1/4 cup of water
- Salt as needed
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp.
To marinate the chicken:-
- Eastern chilly chicken masala – 1.5 heaping tbsps.
- Salt – 1.25 tsp.
- Soy sauce – 1.5 tsp.
- Egg – half of a medium egg, lightly beaten
- Cornflour – 2 tbsps.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with chilly chicken masala powder, salt, soy sauce, cornflour, egg and 1 tsp. of oil for 1-2 hours. Heat oil for shallow frying & fry the marinated chicken pieces till lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and keep aside.
- Remove excess oil from the pan & to the same oil used for frying the chicken, add the chopped ginger, greenchilly and garlic.
- Add the chilly chicken masala powder and cook for a minute on low heat.
- Stir in the chilly sauce, soy sauce and tomato ketchup. Cook for a minute on low heat.
- Add 300 ml. of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Check for salt & add more if needed.
- Stir in the chicken pieces. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in another pan & fry the capsicum & onion cubes for 2 minutes on medium high heat. Add this to the chicken & simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Finally add sugar and mix.