An aviyal is a semi dry dish made with vegetables, curd and coconut, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves.It has a unique place in Kerala sadhya menu.It is easy to prepare but tastes heavenly.Most common vegetables used for making aviyal are Beans, String beans, Carrot, Brinjal, Drumstick, Potato, Raw banana, Snake gourd, beans, Elephant Yam, Pumpkin, Ash gourd, Cucumber.Never use beetroot, bitterguord/ green leafy vegetables!
There are many ways of making aviyal.You can substitute thick curd with green mango slices/tamarind extract/with chopped tomato.I like using tomato and tamarind extract instead of curd in my aviyal.
Chop all vegetables long and thin so that they cook faster with less water.Don’t add too much water initially.Keep checking the level of water during the cooking process and add water only as needed.The dish should be semidry and not watery.
- Carrot (chopped long and thin)– ½ cup
- Ash gourd diced – 11/4 cups
- Plantain (chopped long and thin)– 1.5 cup
- String beans – ¼ cup ( cut into 1” strips)
- French beans – ¼ cup ( cut into 1” strips)
- Snakeguord – ¼ cup
- Drumstick – 1 number, cut into 2″ pieces
- Raw cashewnuts – 5 no.s (optional)
- Green chillies slit – 3 or 4
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp+1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves (Kariveppila)- 2 sprigs
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Tamarind – a small lime sized, soaked in 2 tbsps. of hot water for 30 minutes
- Grated coconut – 11/4 cup
- Shallots-4 big
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Curry leaf – 3 leaves
- Mix together the chopped ash gourd, beans, string beans, snake gourd, plantain, drumstick, carrot, cashew nuts, curry leaf, slit greenchillies, chopped tomato, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, 2 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp salt and ¾ cup of water. Let boil. Cover cook on low heat for 30 minutes/ till the veggies become soft and almost all the water has evaporated.
- Squeeze the tamarind and strain the tamarind water.
- Add the tamarind extract and mix.
- Grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds, garlic clove, shallots, curry leaf and ¼ tsp turmeric powder adding little water to a coarse paste.
- Cover the top of the cooked veggies with this ground paste .Cook for a minute. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Finally add 1 sprig curry leaf and 1 tbsp coconut oil. Remove from heat and keep covered for sometime.