Two days back it was my sister’s birthday so I made this payasam which is one of her favourites.I used a pressure cooker for preparing this payasam; it is very easy to do it that way.Always prepare the payasam on medium heat.Too much heat will cause the milk to curdle and burn and too much low heat will not give the desired results.
- Broken matta rice – ½ cup
- Low fat milk – 5 cups
- Sugar – Slightly less than 1 cup/to taste
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Cashews – 2 tbsp
- Wash the rice 4-5 times under running water.
- Transfer the washed rice, milk and sugar to your pressure cooker. Let boil; stirring occasionally.
- Cover the cooker with its lid and put the weight on. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes.
- Open the lid after 1 hour. Add salt and cardamom powder. Heat it for a minute and remove from the stove.
- Heat butter. Toast cashews and raisins and pour into the payasam.
Tips for pink coloured payasam
1. Use a deep pressure cooker.For eg. if u have 2 pressure cookers as shown in the picture, use the one on the right.
2.Always cook ur payasam on medium heat and open the cooker after a long time to get that pink colour.