In this cake grated carrots are used which enhances the appearance and the overall flavour of the cake.
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Baking soda – 11/2 tsp.
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Powdered cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Grated nutmeg – 3/4 tsp.
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar – Slightly less than 2 cups
- Eggs – 5, small
- Canola oil – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Pineapple essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Full cream milk – 1/4 cup
- Grated carrots – 2 cups (tightly packed)
- Dessicated coconut – 1 cup
- Pecans – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Raisins – 1/2 cup
For the caramel syrup:-
- Granulated sugar – 5 tbsp.
- Water – 1/4 cup
Heat the sugar till brown, add water and mix.Simmer for a while.Let completely cool before adding to the cake.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Toast the pecans for 8 minutes / till fragrant and chop it coarsely in your food processor. Toss the raisins with little flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Line the bottom and sides of a cake tin with parchment paper and grease it.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, powdered cinnamon and the grated nutmeg.
- Beat the ghee with sugar with a hand mixer for 5 minutes. Add the eggs to this creamed mixture one by one, beating well after each addition.Add the canola oil and beat. Add the cooled caramel syrup and mix. Add vanilla extract and pineapple essence.
- Add the sifted flour in 3 additions alternated with milk.
- Fold in the grated carrots, desiccated coconut, chopped pecans, chopped cashews and raisins.
- Bake at 180C for 30 minutes and at 150C for 17 minutes / till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (The baking time varies with oven).
- Let the baked cake rest in the cake tin for 20 minutes.Invert the cake on to wire racks and cool completely.