- All purpose flour – 11/4 cups
- Cocoa powder – 4 tbsp
- Powdered sugar – 11/4 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 11/4 cups
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Egg – 1, large
- Melted Butter – 2 tbsps., cooled
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Add vinegar to milk & mix. Keep it aside for 15 minutes. This is sour milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt & cocoa powder.
- Beat together the egg & powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Add the melted butter & mix. Add the sifted flour mixture & the sour milk alternately till you get a smooth cake batter.
- Pour this batter into a greased cake tin & cover it tightly with an Aluminium foil ( the steam should not escape from the cake). Cook the cake in a steamer for 45 minutes on high heat.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting it into desired shapes.
Source: Lakshmi Nair