This is my favourite recipe for apple pie…
For the crust
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 150 grams, frozen ( cut into small pieces)
- Ice water – 6 tbsp
For the filling
- Green apple – 4 numbers, chopped (I used Granny Smith apples)
- Powdered cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Bread crumbs – 3/4 cup ( I used raisin loaf slices)
- Cream cheese – 200 grams
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Mixed fruit jam/ Pineapple jam – 2 tbsp
- Egg yolk – of one egg
- Whipping cream – 2 tsp
- For the filling cook the apples adding water. I cooked them for 20 minutes & there was very little water left behind. Add the brown sugar, mix & cook further for 5 minutes. Finally stir in the bread crumbs & remove from heat. Grind the cream cheese adding the milk & sugar to a very smooth paste.
- Mix together the flour, salt & powdered sugar. Add the chopped butter & rub the flour with the butter till the mixture resembles bread crumbs/ wetted Puttu podi. Add the ice water & knead it to a dough. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap & refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take 3/4th of the dough ( refrigerate the remaining) & roll it out as thin as possible into a circle. Carefully transfer this to your pie dish. Prick here & there with a fork & bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes.Place the apple filling over the baked crust; top up with the ground cheese paste. Apply the jam at a few places. Roll out the remaining dough into a circle & cut out strips from it to make a lattice top. Mix together the egg yolk & whipping cream; brush the top of the crust with this mixture.
Bake this pie at 180C for 45 minutes / till golden. Remove the pie from the oven & let it rest for 30 minutes.
Source :- Lakshmi Nair, slightly modified