This is a very flavourful pulao…
- Basmathi Rice – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 2 1″ piece
- Cardamom – 4 no.s
- Clove – 4 no.s
- Bay leaf – 1 no.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp/ to taste
- Water – 3.75 cups
- Spinach – 21/2 cups, cleaned & chopped
- Garlic cloves – 6 big
- Greenchilly – 4 numbers
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp (ground)
- Cashews – 10 numbers, soak in warm water
- Grated coconut – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Wash the rice 3-4 times & soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain water from the rice & keep aside.
- Heat the oil & saute the garlic cloves, greenchillies, ground cilantro & the chopped spinach for 2-3 minutes. Grind to a smooth paste with the cashews & grated coconut. Reserve this spinach paste.
- Heat the ghee & add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf & cumin seeds. When you get an aroma of the spices add the chopped onions & saute till they turn brown. Add the rice & fry till it turns opaque.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a microwaveable dish. Add salt, lime juice & 3.5 cups of water. Cook in the microwave on high power for 13 minutes. Now add the spinach paste, mix & cover cook on medium power for 6 minutes. Keep undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Gently mix the rice with the spinach paste.