This is one of my most favourite Halwas. Ideally a banana halwa should be dark brown in color & not yellow/ light brown. Please don’t try to make this fat free, the halwa would be very sticky.
- Kerala Banana – 3 numbers, medium
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 6 tbsp
- Crushed cardamom – 1/4 tsp
- Cashews – a few for garnish
- Grind the bananas to a smooth paste & keep aside.
- Mix together the sugar & water. Stir till the sugar completely dissolves. Add the banana pulp & 3 tbsp of ghee. Keep stirring on a low heat for 40 minutes, adding the remaining ghee as you stir. The mixture should turn dark brown by this time. Take a little banana mixture between your fingers & roll it; it should form a ball. Most of the ghee you have added will come out of the halwa.
- Finally transfer the mixture to a greased plate ( place the plate in an inclined position so that all the extra ghee comes out of the Halwa) & let it cool for 2 hours. Cut into desired shapes & garnish with cashewnuts.