- Pumpkin ( with orange skin) – 1 cup, grated
- Thick curd – 1 cup
- Powdered/ grated jaggery – 1/2 cup / to taste
- All purpose flour – 2 3/4 cups
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tsp + as needed to deep fry
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Heat 2 tsp of oil & saute the grated pumpkin on medium high heat for 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Add the powdered jaggery, pumpkin, baking soda, pepper powder & salt to the curd & mix well.
- Add the flour little by little till you get a slightly stiff dough ( it should be harder than the chapathi dough).
- Add 2 tsp oil & knead well. Apply little oil on the kneaded dough & keep covered for 3-4 hours / better overnight in your fridge for fermentation.
- Divide the dough into small balls ( these should be of the same size as that of puris) & roll out ( it should be a bit thick to puff up).
- Deep fry the rolled out puris in hot oil. Drain on kitchen towels. Serve hot.