- Nirapara Idiyappa podi – 1 cup
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – a pinch
- Salt – 0.5 tsp
- Ghee / Oil – 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut – as needed
- Mix together water, coconut milk and milk. You will need 2 cups of liquid for 1 cup of flour. Boil the water mixture. Add salt, sugar, oil & add flour into the boiling liquid mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon till the whole thing comes together in the form of a dough. Allow this mixture to cool slightly. Knead well with oiled hands till you get a very smooth & soft lump free dough.
- Spoon little dough into your idiyappam press, close the lid and squeeze the dough onto the greased idli plates in a circular motion. Top the idiyappams with a little grated coconut.
- Steam for 15 minutes/ till done. Remove from steamer only after 5 minutes as these idiyappams are really very soft. Serve hot with sweetened coconut milk/ kadala curry/ stew/ non- veg gravy of your choice.