- Sponge cake / Butter cake – 500 grams ( I used 2 egg cake)
- Mixed fruit jam – 4 tbsps.
- Tropical fruit cocktail in light syrup – one 235 grams can
- Green’s mixed fruit jelly powder – one packet
- Milk – 3 cups
- Custard powder – 3 heaping tbsps.
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- To make the jelly bring 1 cup of water to a boil & add the jelly powder to it. Mix well till the contents completely dissolves & remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup of cold water & mix. Chill for 2 hours/ till set.
- To make the custard mix the custard powder with a little milk to make a smooth paste. Add sugar to 3 cups of milk & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & add the custard mixture to it while stirring continuosly. Remove from heat when the custard thickens. Let cool to room temperature. Add vanilla essence, cream & mix.
- Cut the cake into square/rectangular pieces & arrange these as the first layer in a big rectangular pudding dish with the brown side up. Apply jam on the cake pieces. Pour half of the cocktail syrup on the first layer & place half of the chopped fruits on the cake pieces.
- Pour half of the prepared custard over the fruits. Repeat this arrangement of cake layer, fruits & custard. Finally garnish with the set jelly. Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.
For the 2 egg cake:-
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together 11/2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp of salt & 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Cream together 75 grams of butter & 1 cup of granulated sugar with your mixer.
- Add 2 eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla essence & mix.
- Add the sifted flour mixture alternated with 1/2 cup of milk, beginning & ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin & bake at 180C for 25 – 35 minutes/ till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.