A word of warning:- This is a tomato based mutton gravy. You will like this dish only if you love tomato.
- Mutton – 500 grams, cut into bite size pieces & washed with water & vinegar
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Shallots – 5 numbers, ground to a paste
- Onion – 2 big , finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 2 medium, pureed
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp to start with
- Curry leaf – 2 sprigs
- Heat the coconut oil & saute the ginger, garlic & shallot paste.
- Add the finely chopped onions & curry leaves; fry till the onions turn golden brown in color. Add all the spice powders & fry on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Throw in the mutton pieces & salt, fry on medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree & cook again for 7 minutes/ till oil starts to seperate.
- Add 11/2 cups of water & bring to a boil, check for salt & add more if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a pressure cooker & cook on medium heat for 20 minutes/ till the meat is tender.
- This gravy tastes great with Roti, paratha & porotta.