This is a very rich, moist and chocolatey tea cake. We do not have to use a lot of leavening agents here.
- All purpose flour – 1.5 c
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/3 c
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 180g
- Caster sugar – 1.5 c
- Eggs – 4, large
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp
- Melted dark chocolate (60%) – 1/4 c
- Whole milk – 1/4 c
- Toasted and crushed hazelnuts – 3/4 c
- Chopped semi sweet chocolate – 1/2 c
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar in 3 additions and beat well after each addition. Beat well for a good 10 minutes.
- Beat in 4 eggs ,one by one and the vanilla essence.
- Stir in the melted dark chocolate.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the whole milk.
- Finally fold in the nuts and chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into a prepared 2 lb loaf tin.
- Bake at 180C for 45 – 50 minutes.