This is a moist flavourful cake. It has to be baked at two different temperatures to get that perfect texture.
- Plain flour – 1.25 c
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temperature) – 100 grams
- Caster sugar – 1/4 c, to caramelise
- Milkmaid – 1 c
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Mashed ripe banana – 1 c
- Lindt dark chocolate – 3/4 c, coarsely chopped
- Grease and line the bottom of a 2 lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, salt and baking soda.
- Prepare a thick caramel syrup with 1/4 c of sugar.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caramel syrup and the milkmaid. Beat well for a good 15 minutes to get that spongy texture.
- Beat in the vanilla essence and the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture and the coarsely chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into the prepared 2 lb loaf tin.
- Bake at 200C for 11 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 150C and bake further for 19 minutes.
- Serve warm or let cool completely and enjoy with tea/ coffee.