This is a very simple curry and best if you are in a hurry. And believe me it really tastes good. Me and my children don’t like spinach but this curry has become one of our favourites.
- Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
- Greenchillies – 4 to 5 numbers, slit
- Chopped tomato – slightly less than 1 c
- Red spinach – 2 cups, (you don’t have to chop it , just seperate the leaves from the big stems .After all you are making a curry in a hurry, aren’t you?)
- Salt – 11/4 tsp
- Water – 1 c
- Coconut milk powder – 3 heaping tbsps
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
- Curryleaves – a few
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers, split
- Cook together all the ingredients from 1 to 6 in a pressure cooker. Simmer for 7 minutes after the first whistle. Initially you will feel that there is a lot of spinach in there but the spinach on cooking will loose a lot of volume.
- Add the coconut milk powder mixed with 1/4 c of water. Bring to a boil & simmer for 3-5 minutes. It should get a slightly thick consistency. But not too thick. Remove from heat.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil. add the mustard seeds & allow them to splutter. Add the fenugreek/ uluva & let it cook for a while. Add the curryleaves & the dry red chillies. Pour this seasoning over over the curry.
- Serve hot with rosematta rice
I have prepared this curry once when I was not in a hurry with freshly squeezed coconut milk & it tasted better than the version with coconut milk powder.