- Appa podi/ roasted fine rice flour – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds/ Perinjeerakam – 3/4 tsp
- Freshly grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – a pinch
- Shallots – 1/2 cup
- Egg – 1 small
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Mix together 1 cup of appa podi, 3/4 tsp of fennel seeds, 3/4 cup of freshly grated coconut, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of sugar & 1/2 cup of thinly sliced onions/ shallots. Add 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1 small egg ( beaten lighlty) & enough water to make a soft & sticky dough.Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Make vadas like you make uzhunnu vadas.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium low heat till golden brown in color & crispy.