For the cupcakes
- Plain flour – 3/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 bit heaping tbsps
- Salt – a pinch
- Whole milk – 1/2 cup
- Sunflower oil – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla essence – 3/4 tsp
- White vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Caster sugar -1/2 cup
For the frosting
- Unsalted Butter – 1.5 cup ( softened)
- Icing sugar – 1.5 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 2 tbsps ( opt.)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda & cocoa powder.
- Whisk together the milk, oil, vinegar, essence & caster sugar.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the combined wet ingredients mixture. Do not overmix.
- Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pan.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the batter so that the liners are just 3/4th full.
- Bake the muffins at 180C for 15 minutes. Do not overbake these cupcakes.
- Let them cool on the rack while we prepare the chocolate butter cream.
- For the frosting, whisk the butter for 2-3 minutes, add sifted icing sugar with cocoa powder in batches and continue to whisk till creamy & light. Add little milk if you feel that the icing is too thick.
- You could now spread this frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with grated chocolate.