- Heat 3 tbsps of coconut oil & add 3/4 tsp of mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Add 2 cups of thinly sliced shallots/ kunjulli, 3 slit greenchillies & a few curryleaves & cook till the shallots turn golden brown in color.
- Add 6 big garlic cloves (pasted) and 1 tbsp of ginger paste & cook further for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 heaping tsps of coriander powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 heaping tsp of kashmiri chilly powder, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder & cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add slightly less than 1 cup of chopped tomato & cook for 20 minutes or till mushy.Add 1 tsp of Eastern chicken masala powder, 3/4 tsp of garam masala powder, 500 grams of chicken ( cut into small pieces) and 1 tsp of salt & cook for 3 minutes/ til chicken turns whitish.Add 1/2 cup of randaampaal / thin coconut milk+ 1/4 tsp of salt & cover cook for 25 minutes on low heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of onnampaal/ thick coconut milk, curry leaves & 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder. Bring to a very slow boil & switch off heat. The chicken gains flavour after 3 to 4 hours of sitting.
- Serve this curry with pidis.
- Mix together 1.5 cups of roasted rice flour, 3/4 tsp of salt, a generous pinch of sugar, 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds, 1/4 cup of grated coconut & 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder ( optional). Add boiling water ( approx. 1.75 cups) + 1 tsp of coconut oil & mix. Knead the dough really well. Make small balls from the dough ( smaller the better).
- Boil lot of water in a wide pot. Add enough salt, lower heat & now add the pidis you have prepared. Partially cover cook the pidis on low haet for 25 minutes. Remove from heat & add plenty of cold water. Drain water from the pidis by taking them out of the water with a slotted spoon/ kannappa.
- Transfer the pidis to a plate.
- Serve them hot with the spicy chicken curry. YUM!