This recipe will make 2 small quesadillas. Please double the quantity of chicken filling i.e. use 500 grams of chicken if you want a more meaty quesadilla.
- For the makhani sauce, heat 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsps of butter. Add 1 .5 cup of thinly sliced onions & fry till it turns golden brown in colour. Add 4 big garlic cloves ( ground to a paste ) & 1 tsp of ginger paste & cook for 7 minutes. Add 3/4 heaping tsp of kashmiri chilly powder, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 level tsp of coriander powder& cook for a minute on low heat.Add 2 tomatoes ( simply pureed in your mixer) & cook for 15 to 20 minutes/ till the oil seperates. Grind this mixture in your mixer to a smooth paste. Add 1/2 tsp of kasoori methi, 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder, 8 cashews soaked & ground to a paste, 1/2 cup of cooking cream, 1/4 cup of cilantro, a pinch of sugar & mix well. The sauce will be thick . This is the makhani sauce.You won’t need the full makhani sauce you have prepared.
- Let’s make the chicken filling.Cut 250 grams of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into juliennes. Marinate the chicken with juice of one lime, 1/2 heaping tsp of kashmiri chilly powder and 1/2 tsp of salt for 30 minutes. Heat 1 tbsp of oil & shallow fry the chicken till it is cooked & nicely coloured. Add 1.5 tsp of tomato ketchup & 1 tbsp of makhani sauce & mix well. The chicken filling is now ready. Keep it aside.
- For the vegetable makhani mixture, heat 1 tbsp of oil & saute 1 big onion (thinly sliced) , half of a green bell pepper ( julienned) and half of a red bell pepper ( julienned). Cook on high heat for 4 minutes. Add 3/4 th of the left over makhani sauce & mix well. Switch off heat.
- For the quesadilla, take a cooked tortilla/ indian roti & place the chicken mixture on it. Sprinkle grated mozzarella & cheddar cheeses on top. Cover with another cooked roti.Heat a pan & drizzle 1 tsp of oil. Place the stuffed roti in it. Cook till both the side are crisp and golden brown in colour. Keep pressing with the ladle as you cook. This will bind the layers together.Transfer the roti on to a clean working surface. Place the vegetable makhani mixture on one side of the quesadilla & sprinkle the two cheeses once again. Cover with a third roti & drizzle 1 tsp of oil in the pan. Place the quesadilla, with the third roti side down & cook till it is crsip.
- Cut into 4 wedges & serve immediately.