I found this recipe on a TV show “ Food diaries” by Zarnak Sidhwa a few days back & gave it a try. These were so good. These biscuits tasted great even without the filling.
For the biscuits
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 heaping tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 50 grams, softened
- Powdered sugar – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Coarse sugar – as needed for sprinkling
For the chocolate buttercream
- Butter – 50 grams
- Icing sugar – 1/3 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 heaping tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Beat together the butter & the sugar till light & creamy for 10 minutes.
- Beat in the essence, milk & honey.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients & mix till the whole thing comes together as a slightly sticky dough. Do not knead the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes / till firm enough to handle.
- Divide the refigerated dough into to 2 smaller portions. Sprinkle little flour on a butter paper/ a foil & roll out one portion of the dough to a thin rectangle of 1/8″ thickness. Cut out smaller rectangles of equal sizes from the rolled out dough. Repeat with the other portion of the dough.
- Prick half of the biscuits with a fork.
- Place all the biscuits on a cookie tray lined with foil. Sprinkle coarse sugar on the biscuits that you had pricked with the fork.
- Bake at 170C for 15 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the foil 3 minutes after they are out from the oven. Transfer to a rack & cool completely them before sandwitching with the filling.
- For the filling, beat together all the ingredients written under ” for the chocolate buttercream” section with a hand mixer till really light & fluffy.
- Sandwitch the biscuits with this buttercream.