Cook 1.5 cups of basmathi rice (adding salt) till done & keep aside.
For the masala powder:-
- Fennel seeds/ Perinjeerakam – 3/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Star aniseed – half of one
- Cardamom – 2 numbers
- Cloves – 2 numbers
- Cinnamon – 1/2″ stick
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Dry roast the above ingredients for a minute & powder them finely in your coffee grinder.
For the vegetable mixture:-
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onions – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Greenchilly – 1 number, pounded
- Garlic – 2 numbers, pounded
- Ginger – 1 tsp, pounded
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower florets – 1.5 cup (cut into small florets)
- Carrot – 2 numbers or 1 cup, medium ( finely chopped)
- French beans – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Green capsicum/ Simla mirch – 1 small, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, deseeded & finely chopped
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
a. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Now add the onions & fry till they turn golden brown in colour. Throw in the crushed ginger, garlic & greenchilly & cook for a good 10 minutes.
b.Add the ground masala powder (you made before), coriander powder & turmeric powder. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
c. Add carrot, french beans & cauliflower + 1/2 tsp of salt & fry on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the capsicum, deseeded tomato & cilantro & cook further for 7-8 minutes. Check for salt & add more if needed.
d. Remove from heat, add the lime juice & mix.
Put the cooked rice over the vegetable mixture & top the rice with 1 tbsp of melted ghee. Cover cook on very low heat for 5-7 minutes. Keep undisturbed for 10 minutes. Mix carefully & serve hot.