For the cake:-
- All purpose flour – 3/4 cup + 2 tbsps.
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Clove powder – 1/8 tsp
- Grated nutmeg – 1/8 tsp
- Butter – 125 grams
- Caster sugar – 1/4 c+ 2 tbsps.
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup (tightly packed)
- Eggs – 2 numbers, medium sized
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
- Apple – 1.5 , large (peeled, cored & finely chopped) + half of a large apple (peeled , cored & finely chopped); divided
For the apple sauce topping:-
- Apple – 2 numbers, large
- Caster sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cornflour – 1 heaping tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt & all the spices.
- Remove 2 tbsps of brown sugar from the 1/2 cup of brown sugar & reserve it for sprinkling on top of the cake.
- Cream the butter with your hand mixer for 5 minutes till light & fluffy. Add the caster sugar & the remaining brown sugar. Beat well for 8-10 minutes till really creamy & pale in color.
- Beat in the 2 eggs, one by one & beat well after you add each egg.
- Add the vanilla essence & beat.
- Fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternated with the buttermilk.
- Add 1.5 apples finely chopped into the batter & mix gently.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 2 lb. loaf tin . Sprinkle half of an apple & the 2 tbsps of reserved brown sugar over the sprinkled apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour & 10 minutes. If you feel that the top is browning too fast just cover the cake with a foil & bake further.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- For the sauce, blend the apples in a mixer/blender adding 1/2 cup of water. Strain the apple juice. You should have 1 cup of apple juice.If not just add enough water. Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp of water to make a slurry. Combine the apple juice, sugar & powdered cinnamon & cook on low heat till the sugar dissolves & the mixture comes to a boil. Add the cornflour slurry & cook till the sauce turns thick. Let the sauce cool slightly.
- Spoon the sauce over the cooled cake.
- Cut into pieces & serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Note:- I had used sweet red apples for this recipe & not the tart variety.