This cake is very different from the other fruit cakes. Just like a normal fruit cake this cake is also dense & full of fruits. What makes this cake different is the 2 distinct coloured layers that it has.
- Soak together 3/4 cup of chopped golden raisins, 1/2 cup of chopped apricots, 1/4 cup of chopped candied cherries, 1/4 cup of tutti-frutti, 2 tbsps of candied orange peel, 1 tbsp of candied ginger, 1/8 cup of chopped candied pineapple and 1/4 cup of chopped candied kiwi fruit in a mixture of 2 tbsps of lukewarm orange juice & 1 tbsp of brandy for 1 week.
- Seperately, soak together 3/4 cup of chopped dates, 1/2 cup of chopped currants, 1/4 cup of chopped sultanas, 2 tbsps of candied orange peel & 1 tbsp of candied ginger in 2 tbsps of brandy for 1 week.
- For the cake batter, sift together 2 cups of plain flour, 2 tsps of baking powder & a pinch of salt. Beat 100 grams of butter till creamy & fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps of powdered sugar in 3 additions till light & fluffy. Beat in 2 large eggs, one by one & beat well after each addition. Divide this batter into 2 layers.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- For the dark batter, caramelise 1/4 cup of sugar & add 2 tbsps of boiling water & simmer till thick. Let the caramel mixture cool down completely to room temperature. Fold in the soaked dates-sultana mixture, the caramel syrup, 1/2 tsp of mixed spice, 1/2 tsp of coffee powder mixed with 1 tbsp of lukewarm water, 1/2 cup of chopped cashews, 1/4 cup of chopped almonds & 3/4 tsp of vanilla essence into one portion of the batter. You will get a dark coloured batter.
- For the light batter, fold in the soaked golden raisins – candied fruit mixture (point 1), 1 tsp of orange zest, 1 tsp of lemon zest, 1/4 tsp of almond essence & 3/4 tsp of vanilla essence to the other portion.
- Prepare a 2 lb loaf tin. Pour the light batter first into the pan & tap it lightly on the counter. Pour the dark batter on top of the light batter & tap again.
- Both the batters will be really dense.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes at 160C.
- Let the cake cool down completely to room temperature. Prick the cake with a skewer here & there & brush the cake all over with brandy.
Note:- Toss the fruits with a little flour just before folding them into the batter.
Recipe adapted from Vanitha Magazine ( Recipe by Mrs. Freeda)