This biriyani is very easy to make & it tastes really good. Above all it uses very less fat or you could even make this biriyani fat free without adding any oil/ghee.
- For the vegetable mixture, combine 2 big carrots (finely chopped) ,5-6 french beans (finely chopped), 1 medium tomato (finely chopped), 1 or 2 slit greenchillies, 1 small medium onion (finely chopped), 3/4 level tsp of garam masala powder, 1/2 heaping tsp of coriander powder, 1/4 tsp of cumin powder, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 3/4 cup of water & 1/2 -3/4 tsp of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil & cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of cilantro, 1/8 cup of mint leaves & cook further for 2 minutes.Add 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut+ a few torn curryleaves & cook for 3 minutes more. Switch off heat & add 1 tsp of lime juice.
- Soak 1 cup of basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil & fry the rice for 3-4 minutes on high heat. Add 2 cups of boiling water & 1 tsp of salt & cover cook on low heat fo 10 minutes. Add 1 onion thinly sliced & deep fried till golden brown to the cooked rice & mix carefully.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a dum pot. Spread half of the cooked rice in it. Spread the vegetable masala over the rice layer.
- Spread the remaining rice over the vegetable masala layer. Cover with a foil.
- Bake at 180C for 2o minutes.
- Your vegetable biriyani is ready to serve.
This recipe is from Reshmi Soman’s cookery show.