For the cake:-
- Plain flour – 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Butter – 50 grams, melted
- Sunflower/Canola oil – 1/4 cup
- Caster sugar – 1 cup, tightly packed
- Egg – 1 large, at room temperature
- Vanilla essence – 3/4 tsp.
- Sour cream – 1/4 cup
- Whole milk – 1/2 cup
- Instant coffee powder – 1 level tsp.
- Boiling water – 1/2 cup
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – 2 tbsps.
- Orange zest – 1 tbsp.
For the soaking syrup:-
- Caster sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Rum – 1 tbsp. / use orange flavoured liquor instead
For the filling & frosting:-
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Dark chocolate – 1/2 cup, coarsely chopped
- Semi-sweet chocolate – 1/4 cup, coarsely chopped
- Light corn syrup – 1 tsp.
- Candied orange peel – 1 tbsp.
- Orange segments of half an orange
- Butter – 75 grams ( softened)
For the topping:-
- Cream – 1/4 cup
- Dark chocolate – 1/4 cup+ 2 tbsps., coarsely chopped
Let’s prepare the orange chocolate cake first.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 6″ cake tin & keep it aside.
- Add coffee powder to the boiling water & mix well. Switch off heat & add the milk.
- Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & the salt. Keep aside.
- Beat the egg & sugar with a hand mixer till creamy & pale in color. Add the oil little by little & keep beating as you add the oil. Add the melted butter and beat again.
- Mix in the sour cream, vanilla essence & the orange juice in the same order & beat well after each addition.
- Add the sifted flour mixture & the milk – coffee mixture alternately beginning & ending with the flour. The batter would be somewhat runny so that you get a real moist cake.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes/ till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting the cake on to a rack to cool completely.
Now let’s prepare the soaking syrup:-
- Combine 1/4 cup of caster sugar & 1/4 cup of water in a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat till the sugar dissolves completely. Switch off heat.
- Let cool completely.
- Add the rum & mix.
Next prepare the filling & frosting:-
- Place the dark & semi-sweet chocolates in a medium heat proof bowl.
- Scald the cream & pour it over the dark & semi-sweet chocolates. Mix after 5 minutes. Add corn syrup. Let this mixture cool completely.
- Add the candied orange peel, orange segments & the butter.
- Beat with a hand mixer till the mixture turns creamy & light.
- Refrigerate this mixture till it becomes spreadable.
Finally prepare chocolate ganache for topping the cake :-
- Scald the cream & pour it over the chopped dark chocolate placed in a heat proof bowl.
- Mix after 5 minutes of standing till smooth.
Assembling the cake:-
- Cut the cooled cake horizontally into 2.
- Prick them with a fork here & there.
- Soak the cake halves with the prepared syrup.
- Spread 1/3rd of the filling/frosting mixture over one of the cake halves & cover it with the other half of the cake.
- Cover the top & sides of the cake with the filling/frosting mixture.
- Finally pour the chocolate ganache on top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for atleast 2 hours before serving.