For the cookies:-
- Plain flour – 13/4 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp.
- Horlicks powder – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Butter – 100 grams, softened
- Caster sugar – 2/3 cup, tightly packed
- Egg – 1 large or 2 small, at room temperature
- Vanilla essence – 3/4 tsp.
- Malteser – 1 cup, coarsely chopped
For the filling:-
- Semi-sweet chocolate – 1 cup (melted)
- Salted butter- 80 grams
- Horlicks – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla essnce – 1 tsp
- Cream – 2 tbsps
- Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, Horlicks powder & the salt. Keep aside.
- Beat together the butter & caster sugar till creamy & fluffy. Beat in the eggs & the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted dry ingredients & the chopped maltesers.
- Refrigerate this dough, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Make 24 equal sized balls from the cookie dough & flatten them slightly.
- Place the unbaked cookies on a tray lined with foil.
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Do not overbake. These cookies won’t be crunchy but would be like mini cakes.
- Let the cookies cool completely before sandwitching them.
- For the filling, melt together all the ingredients written under “for the filling” section, except the essence. Let this mixture cool down to room temperature. Add the essence & mix. Refrigerate till firm & beat with a hand mixer till creamy & light.
- Sandwich the cookies with this filling mixture. Use 1 heaping tbsp. of filling mixture per sandwich.
Source:-Masala mornings, Shireen Anwar