This cake is one of my favourites. We are adding orange segments directly into the cake batter & this is what makes this cake unique from the other chocolate orange cakes. I like to make this cake thin & top it with Nutella. It tastes heavenly when topped with Nutella. This recipe will make two 6″ cakes.
- Plain flour – 275 grams
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 100 grams
- Grated dark chocolate – 175 grams
- Caster sugar – 225 grams
- Eggs – 3 numbers, large; beaten lightly
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Full fat curd – 100 grams
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Segments of 1 orange, seperated & slightly mashed
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare two 6″ cake tins.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking soda & a pinch of salt.
- Melt together the butter & the grated dark chocolate. Let this mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in the three eggs & the caster sugar.
- Beat in 1 tsp of vanilla essence, orange juice and orange zest.
- Add the thick curd & beat.
- Fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
- Finally fold in the orange segments into the cake batter.
- Divide the prepared batter between the two cake tins.
- Bake at 180C for 25 – 30 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.