For the cookie dough:-
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 50 grams, softened
- Caster sugar – 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Egg – half of a small egg
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
For the filling:-
- Dates – 1/2 cup, deseeded & coaresely chopped
- Figs – 2 tbsps, chopped
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 2 tbsps, powdered coarsely in the mixer
- Orange marmalade – 1 tbsp ( I used the bitter variety)
- For the filling, combine the dates, figs & water in a saucepan & cook till all the water has evaporated. Let cool. Grind to a coarse paste using your the mixer/ food processor. Add the nuts powder + orange marmalade & mix.
- For the cookie dough, sift together the plain flour, baking soda & salt. Cream together the softened butter & the sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence. Fold in the flour mixture & combine to make a slightly soft dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or till firm.
- To make the cookies, roll out the prepared cookie dough into a rectangle of 1/4″ thickness. Spread the dates-figs mixture over the rolled out dough. Roll the dough tightly like you do for making jelly rolls.
- Wrap the cookie log with a cling film & refrigerate preferably overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut cookies of 1/2″ thickness & place them on a tray lined with foil.
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Flip the cookies & bake the other side too for another 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Serve with tea/coffee.