This is a very quick & easy chicken curry that goes very well with kerala porottas.
- Chicken – 500 grams, boneless cut into smaller cubes
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp (heaping)
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp (heaping)
- Coriander powder – 3/4 heaping tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Garam masala powder -3/4 tsp. + 1/4 tsp., divided
- Ginger – 1/2 tbsp ( ground to a paste)
- Garlic – 6 big cloves ( ground to a paste)
- Water – 1 cup
- Sunflower oil – 3 tbsps.
- Onions – 2 cups, thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 1 number, slit
- Tomato – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup (freshly squeezed)
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Cook the chicken pieces in 1 cup of water adding 11/4 tsp of salt, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric powder, 3/4 tsp. of garam masala powder & half of the ginger-garlic paste. Cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Carefully seperate the cooked chicken from the gravy & shred them.
- Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a broad non-stick pan. Add the onions & cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Add the greenchilly & the remaining ginger-garlic paste & fry for 7 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken & fry for 10 minutes on low heat till browned.
- Add the tomato & mix. Cook for 7-8 minutes or till mushy. Add the gravy in which you had cooked the chicken & cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk, chopped cilantro & 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder. Mix well & simmer for 3-4 mnutes.
- Serve piping hot with porottas.
Source :- Magic Oven- Lakshmi Nair; Recipe slightly modified