This is a very easy to make gravy for rice. I would call it a lazy person’s curry. But even if this is very easy to prepare the curry tastes really yummy. No masala powders like coriander, turmeric or red chilly powder is used in this recipe. The taste depends on the okra & the coconut milk. So, try to use fresh okra & freshly squeezed coconut milk for this recipe. Coconut milk powder will not work here. You can even skip the onions if you are in a real hurry but please don’t use coconut milk powder.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Okra – 1 cup, cut into 1″ pieces
- Onion – 1 medium (cut into bite size square pieces)
- Greenchilly – 3 numbers, slit
- Curry leaf – 1 sprig
- Randaampaal/thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut oil/ Onnampaal – 3/4 cup
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
- Crushed peppercorns – as per taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil & fry the okra till it is browned on a medium heat. Keep aside.
- To te same pan, add 1 more tbsp of oil & add the onions, greenchillies + the curry leaves. Fry till the onion just starts to turn brown in colour.
- Add the fried okra pieces & the thin coconut milk. Bring to a boil & cover cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Finally add the thick coconut milk, garam masala powder & crushed peppercorns & remove from heat.
Isn’t this too easy to prepare?