Since this is my 600th post I thought of sharing a very special, rich and delicious celebration cake with Snicker bars in the layers. The cake layers itself are really rich and moist.This recipe has been adapted from Masala mornings cookery show hosted by Shireen Anwar. As usual I halved the below recipe to make just one cake layer.
You will need 4 regular sized Snicker Bars for this recipe
For the cake:-
- Plain flour – 2 cups
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 4 tbsps (heaped)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Baking soda – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Butter – 200 grams, at room temperature
- Caster sugar – 1.5 cups
- Egg – 3 large, at room temperature
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Sour cream – 1 cup
For the soaking syrup:-
- Caster sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp.
- Rum – 1 tbsp.
For the chocolate flavoured caramel sauce:-
- Brown sugar – 3/4 cup, tightly packed
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Dark chocolate – 2 tbsps, coarsely chopped
- Butter – 50 grams ( softened)
For the glaze topping:-
- Semi-sweet chocolate – 100 grams
- Light corn syrup – 1 tbsp.
- Milk – 1.5 tbsp.
- Butter – 4 tbsps/ 50 grams
Let’s prepare the cake layers first.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Preparetwo 8″ cake tins & keep them aside.
- Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & the salt. Keep aside.
- Beat together butter & the caster sugar till creamy & fluffy for about 10 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one & beat well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla essence & beat again.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the sour cream, beginning & ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes/ till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting the cake on to a rack to cool completely.
Now let’s prepare the soaking syrup:-
- Combine 1/4 cup of caster sugar & 1/4 cup of water in a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat till the sugar dissolves completely. Switch off heat.
- Let cool completely.
- Add the rum, vanilla essence & mix.
Next prepare the caramel sauce :-
- Combine the dark chocolate, brown sugar & cream in a medium sauce pan & cook for about 2 minutes or till mixture turns slightly thick. Let cool. Add 50 grams of softened butter.
- Beat with a hand mixer till the mixture turns creamy & light.
- Refrigerate this mixture till it becomes spreadable.
Finally prepare glaze for topping the cake :-
Combine all the ingredients required for the glaze & heat till the chocolate completely melts and all the ingredients are combined well.
Assembling the cake:-
- Prick the two cooled cakes with a fork here & there.
- Soak the cake halves with the prepared syrup.
- Spread 1/3rd of the caramel sauce over one of the cakes, spread 2 Snicker bars (chopped coarsely) & cover it with the other cake.
- Cover the top & sides of the cake with the left over caramel sauce.
- Pour the chocolate glaze on top of the cake.
- Garnish with 2 Snicker bars (coarsely chopped)
- Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour before serving.