For the cake batter
- All purpose flour – 3/4 c
- Baking powder – 1/2 tbsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 100 g
- Caster sugar – 1/2 c
- Egg –1, large
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
For the apple topping:-
- Apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced – 1 large or 2 small
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Clove powder – 1/8 tsp.
- Grated nutmeg – 1/8 tsp.
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup, coarsely chopped
For the streusel topping:-
- Plain flour – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 30 grams, chilled
- Brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 2 lb. loaf tin & keep it aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, pour the sliced apples. Add the cinnamon powder, clove powder & grated nutmeg & toss to combine. keep aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the streusel topping. The mixture should resemble coarse bread crumbs. Refrigerate till you get the cake batter ready.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar in 2 additions and beat well after each addition. Beat well for a good 10 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Spread the sliced apples over the cake batter. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the apples.
- Finally spread the streusel topping evenly over the apple-nut layer.
- Bake the cake at 180C for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream.