- Elephant yam/chena – 3 cups, chopped into smaller pieces
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp. + 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic – 2 big cloves, finely chopped
- Onion – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Shallots – 1/4 cup, pounded
- Curryleaf – a few
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 heaping tsp. ( or use red chilli flakes if you like that)
- Cook the yam in water adding salt, 1 tsp. of coconut oil & turmeric powder. Cover cook on low heat for 15 -20 minutes till a knife can pass easily through the yam pieces.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsps of coconut oil & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop & add the onions, shallots, curry leaves & garlic. Cook till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add red chilly powder & mix for a minute on low heat.
- Add the cooked yam & mix gently so that all the yam pieces are well coated with the onion-chilly masala.