My favourite with a cup of cold milk.
- All purpose flour – 1.5 c
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 100 g
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Caster sugar – 1 c
- Eggs –2, large
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp
- Whole milk- 3/4 c
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 heaping tbsps
- Grated dark chocolate – 1/4 cup
- Grated white chocolate – 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare an 8″ cake tin & keep it aside.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar in 3 additions and beat well after each addition. Beat well for a good 10 minutes. Add the oil in a steady stream & keep beating as you do so.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one and the vanilla essence.
- Beat in 1/2 c of whole milk.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with 1/4 c of milk.
- Divide the batter into 2 parts. To one part add the cocoa powder ( made into a thick paste with little water) + the grated dark chocolate & to the other part add the grated white chocolate.
- Pour 1/4 cup of white batter in the center of the cake tin first & then pour 1/4 cup of the dark batter over the white batter.
- Repeat this process till the entire white & dark cake batter is over.
- Tap the cake tin gently on the kitchen counter.
- Bake at 180C for 20 minutes & 160C for 40 minutes.