This chicken curry has only a few ingredients & is a good combination with Kappa/ cooked tapioca. This curry tastes better on sitting and will have a thick, fiery red gravy.
- Chicken – 500 grams, cut into small cubes
- Kashmiri dry red chillies – 20 numbers
- Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 6 big cloves
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Onions – 4 medium, finely chopped
- Curryleaves – a few
- Water – 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Shallots – 3 numbers, sliced
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dry red chilies in hot water for 3-4 hours. Drain out all the water from the chillies. Grind the chillies along with ginger, garlic & vinegar to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- In a pan, roast the grated coconut along with the sliced shallots & few curryleaves till golden brown & crisp. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat the coconut oil & stir in the onions + the curryleaves.
- Cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the ground chilli paste & cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, 1 tsp of salt & fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water & cover cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut paste, 1/2 cup of water, the garam masala powder & cover cook further for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Let this curry sit for atleast 3-4 hours before serving.
- Serve hot with steamed tapioca.
Source :- Magic oven by Lakshmi Nair, recipe slightly modified.