For the cake batter:-
- All purpose flour – 2 c
- Baking soda –1/2 tsp.
- Unsweeteed cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 175 g
- Caster sugar – 275 grams
- Egg –2 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsp.
- Sour cream – 80 ml.
- Hot water – 1/3 cup
- Chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)- 3/4 cup
For the soaking syrup:-
- Water – 125 ml.
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp (level)
- Caster sugar – 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 9×9″ cake tin & keep it aside.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar in 3 additions and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one and the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the sour cream. Finally add the hot water & mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake the cake at 180C for 35 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is baking, make the chocolate syrup.
- For the syrup, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan & cook till syrupy.
- Once the cake is baked, poke holes all over the cake with a skewer & spread the chocolate syrup evenly over the cake with a spoon.
- Let cool down completely before serving.