For the cake batter:-
- All purpose flour – 1.25 c
- Baking soda –3/4 tsp.
- Baking powder –3/4 tsp.
- Unsweeteed cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Golden raisins – 1 cup, chopped
- Rum – 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 125 g
- Caster sugar – 1.25 cup
- Egg –4 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Hot water – 1/3 cup
- Heat a saucepan till it becomes really hot and switch off the heat. Add the rum & chopped raisins to the hot saucepan. Keep aside for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 9×9″ cake tin & keep it aside.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Beat the butter for 5 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar in 4 additions & beat well till the mixture turns white and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one and the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the hot water.
- Fold in the rum soaked raisins.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake the cake at 180C for 35 minutes and at 160C for 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.