This recipe will make 6 big bondas.
For the potato mixture:-
- Potatoes – 2 numbers, medium(boiled & mashed coarsely, should be lumpy)
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic – 3 big cloves, finely chopped
- Greenchilly (preferably Kantharimulaku) – 3-4 numbers or as per taste, very finely chopped
- Curryleaves – 2 tbsps, minced
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- salt to taste
- Bread – 2 slices, powdered to ger fresh bread crumbs
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
For the batter:-
- Chickpea flour – 3/4 cup
- Roasted rice flour – 1 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Hing/kaayam – 1/4 tsp.
- Water – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- salt – 1/2 tsp.
Oil to deep fry
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Stir in the chopped onions, cuuryleaves, garlic & greenchillies. Cook till the onions just start to change their colour to golden brown. Don’t brown the onions too much.
- Stir in the turmeric powder & cook on low heat for a minute.Add the coarsely mashed potato & mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, salt & cilantro. Mix well & remove from heat.
- Allow the potato mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Divide this mixture into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Mix the besan, rice flour, chilli powder, hing, salt & water to make a slightly thick batter.
- Heat oil to deep fry the bondas.
- Dip each ball into the batter & deep fry them in hot oil on medium heat till golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.