For the patty:-
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Onions – 2 numbers, medium
- Greenchillies – 2 numbers, very finely chopped
- garlic – 2 big cloves, minced
- Curryleaves – a few
- Cabbage – 1.5 cups, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Potato – 1 medium, boiled, cooled & mashed
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Cilantro/malliyila – 1/4 cup
For the chutney:-
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Greenchilly – 1 number
- Lime juice – 1 tsp.
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp.
- salt to taste
- Curryleaves – 2 numbers
Ingredients for coating:-
- Besan/chickpea flour/kadalamavu – as needed
- Bread crumbs – as needed
- Heat oil & add the onions, greenchillies, curryleaves, ginger & garlic. Cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the cabbage, turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp of salt & cover cook on medium heat for 7 minutes or till done.
- Add the mashed potato, cilantro & garam masala powder & mix for 2-3 minutes. Let this mixture cool down completely.
- For the chutney, grind together all the ingredients to a paste without adding any water.
- Make a slightly thick batter with besan adding salt & enough water.
- Make lemon sized balls from the cabbage mixture, flatten them & fill with the coconut chutney. Re-roll into a ball again & dip in besan batter. Coat the ball with bread powder & flatten to make a patty.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium high heat till browned.
- Serve piping hot with tomato ketchup.