For the Brownie layer:-
- Dark chocolate (60%) – 100 grams
- Milk chocolate – 40 grams
- Butter – 50 grams
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup, tightly packed
- Egg – 1 number, large
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- salt – a pinch
- Plain flour – 1/4 cup
For the Butter cake layer:-
- Butter – 125 grams (softened)
- Caster sugar – 3/4 cup + 2 level tbsps.
- Eggs – 2 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- orange zest – 1 tsp.
- Plain flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Whole milk – 1/4 cup (warm)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 6″ square tin.
- For the brownie batter, melt together the dark chocolate, milk chocolate and butter in a double boiler till smooth. Allow the mixture to cool down for 10 minutes. Beat in the egg, brown sugar, essence and salt into the cooled chocolate mixture. Fold in the flour.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared cake tin & bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the batter for the butter cake layer.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder.
- Beat together the butter & caster sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 2 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla essence and orange zest.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the milk.
- Pour the butter cake batter over the baked brownie.
- Bake further at 180C for 35 minutes.