- Chembu – 4 cups, chopped into smaller pieces
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1.5 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp. + 1 tbsp.+ 1 tbsp., divided
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic – 2 big cloves, finely chopped
- Onion – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Shallots – 1/4 cup, pounded
- Curry leaves– a few
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 heaping tsp.
- Cook the taro pieces in water adding salt, 1 tsp. of coconut oil & turmeric powder. Cover cook on low heat for 15 minutes till all the water has evaporated & a knife can pass easily through the taro pieces.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop & add the onions, shallots, curry leaves & garlic. Cook till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add red chilly powder & mix for a minute on low heat.
- Add the cooked kachil & mix gently so that all the taro pieces are well coated with the onion-chilly masala. Finally add 1 tbsp of coconut oil & mix. Switch off heat.
- Serve this with rice along with moru kachiyathu.