For the cake:-
- All purpose flour – 1 c
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temp.) – 125 g.
- Caster sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps.; divided
- Eggs –3 numbers, large ( I had used 2 extra large eggs)
- Instant coffee powder– 1.5 tsp mixed with 1 tbsp. of hot water
- Tia Maria/ coffee flavoured liquor – 1 tbsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 heaping tsp. mixed with 1.5 tbsp of water
For the frosting:-
- Dark chocolate – 100 grams, coarsely chopped
- Thick cream – 100 ml.
- Tia Maria – 1.5 tsps.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 2 lb. loaf tin and keep it aside.
- Seperate the yolks & whites of all the three eggs.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add 1/2 cup of caster sugar in 2 additions and beat well after each addition. Beat well for a good 10 minutes.
- Beat in the 3 egg yolks.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture.
- Divide the batter into 2 parts. To one part add the cocoa powder ( made into a thick paste with 1.5 tbsps. of water) & to the other part add the coffee decotion and coffee liquor.
- Beat the 3 egg whites till they hold soft peaks. Add 2 tbsps. of caster sugar, little by little and beat well till stiff peaks form.
- Fold in 1/3rd of the beaten egg whites into the prepared cake batter to lighten the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites gently, but thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate and coffee flavoured cake batters into the prepared 2 lb loaf tin alternately and swirl with a butter knife to give a marble effect.
- Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes.
- Let this cake cool down completely before you do the frosting.
- For the frosting, place the dark chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl. Scald the cream & pour it over the chocolate. Mix well after 3-5 minutes. Stir in the coffee liquor. Refrigerate the frosting for 20 minutes.
- Garnish the cooled cake with the frosting and chocolate curls.