For the curry:-
- Drumstick – 3 numbers, cut into 2″ pieces
- Shallots – 5 numbers, thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 1 number, slit
- Ginger – 1 tsp., julienned
- Tomato – 1 number, medium; cut into square pieces
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.+ 1/4 tsp.; divided
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp.
- Garlic – 1 big clove
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Thick curd – 1 cup, beaten in the mixer
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp.
- Shallots – 4 numbers, thinly sliced
- Curry leaves – a few
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Cook the drumstick pieces adding the sliced shallots, ginger, tomato, greenchilly, 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder, salt & 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil & cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds, garlic clove, 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt to a smooth paste adding around 1/4 cup of water.
- Add this paste to the cooked drumstick pieces & cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Switch off heat.
- Let this mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Add the beaten curd and salt & mix. Cook on medium low heat till the curd is well heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small wok, heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop up. Add the fenugreek seeds & fry till they release aroma. Stir in the sliced shallots & fry till golden brown. Add the curryleaves & dry red chillies & pour this seasoning over the curry.
- This curry goes very well with rice.