- Bitterguord – 2 numbers, medium; cut into creascents as for theeyal
- Onion – 2 numbers, medium, thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers, slit
- Green tomato – 1 number, cut into thin slices
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Tamarind – a lime sized ball soaked in 1/4 cup of hot water, squeezed & strained
- Salt to taste
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 2 cups
For the seasoning:-
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers
- Curryleaves – a few
- Cook the bittergourd adding all the items from 2-9 in your pressure cooker. Simmer for 7 minutes after the first whistle.
- Open the cooker once the pressures subside & cook till almost all the water evaporates. Add the thick coconut milk & switch off heat.
- Do the tempering.
- Serve hot with rice.