- Basmathi rice – 1.5 cups
- Thin coconut milk / Randaampaal(freshly extracted) – 4 cups
- Thick coconut milk/ Onnampaal (freshly extracted)- 1 cup
- Cumin powder – a pinch
- Dry ginger powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1.5 tsp. or to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – a few
- Wash the basmathi rice and soak it in water for 2 hours. Drain all the water from the rice & keep the rice aside.
- Bring the thin coconut milk to a boil & add the rice. Cover cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lid & add the salt, cumin powder, dry ginger powder & thick coconut milk.
- Keep mashing the rice with your ladle & cook till the mixture is dry.
- Heat 1 tsp. of coconut oil in a wok & splutter mustard seeds. Add the greenchillies & torn curry leaves. Cook for a minute & add this to the cooked rice mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate greased with coconut oil & level it well with a spoon.
- Let cool down for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into squares/diamonds & serve.