- Plain flour – 1.25 c
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter ( at room temperature) – 100 grams
- Caster sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Sweetened condensed milk – 150 grams
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Dark chocolate – 150 grams ( I used 45%)
- Beetroots – 2 small numbers, boiled, pureed & strained
- Warm milk – 25 ml.
- Grease and line the bottom of a 2 lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave and leave aside to cool.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Beat the butter for 3 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the caster sugar and beat . Add the sweetened condensed milk and beat well for 10 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla essence, melted chocolate and beetroot puree.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the whole milk. The milk should be warm even now.
- Pour batter into the prepared 2 lb loaf tin.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes. You will see cracks on the top and a wonderful aroma of the baked cake will fill your whole house
- Let cool completely and enjoy with tea/ coffee.
Source:- The Big Book of Treats by Pooja Dhingra