For the mushroom sauce :-
- Butter – 4 tbsps.
- Plain flour – 4 level tbsps.
- Milk – 2 cups
- Salt and pepper powder – to taste
- Grated nutmeg – a pinch
- Parmesan cheese – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Garlic – 2 big cloves, minced
- Celery – 2 tbsps.
- Leek – 1/4 cup
- Sliced button mushrooms – 250 grams
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
For the spinach layer:-
- Fresh spinach – 1.5 cups
- Indian cottage cheese / Paneer– 1/3 cup, crumbled
For the tomato sauce:-
- Readymade pasta sauce ( I used Leggos) – 200 grams
- Basil – a pinch
- Sugar – 3/4 tsp.
- Lasagna sheets – 6 numbers
- Grated cheddar cheese – 1 cup
- Grated mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup
- For the mushroom sauce, heat butter in a pan and add the plain flour. Cook for 2 minutes on low heat. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper powder and grated nutmeg and cook till saucy. Add the parmesan cheese and switch off heat. Keep this sauce aside. In another pan, heat olive oil & add the garlic, celery and leeks. Cook for 2 minutes and add the sliced button mushrooms, salt and pepper powder. Cook till dry. Add the bell pepper and cook for a minute on medium high heat. Stir in the prepared white suace and mix. Switch off heat and keep aside for layering. Divide into 3 equal portions.
- For the spinach layer, blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water for a minute. Squeeze out the excess water and finely chop the spinach. Mix together the chopped spinach with the crumbled paneer. Divide into 3 equal portions.
- For the tomato sauce, heat the readymade pasta sauce with basil and sugar and switch off heat. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Prepare the lasagna sheets as per the packet instructions.
- Take a baking dish and spread one portion of the tomato sauce in it. Place lasagna sheets over it. Spread a portion of the mushroom sauce, followed by a portion of the spinach-paneer mixture. Sprinkle cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Spread another portion of the tomato sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat layering with lasagna sheets, mushroom sauce, spinach-paneer mixture, cheese and tomato sauce.
- Finish off with mushroom sauce, tomato sauce & grated cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with a foil and bake at 190C for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake further at 190C for 10 more minutes to brown the cheese.
- Wait for 20 minutes. Cut into smaller portions and serve warm.