This cake is a little on the sweeter side. You can reduce the quantity of sugar if you do not like very sweet cakes. It looks rustic but tastes great.
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 150 grams (softened)
- Granulated white sugar – 1.5 cup
- Eggs – 2 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Semi-sweet mini chocolate chips – 1/3 cup
- Chopped walnuts – 1/3 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a 9″ square cake tin & keep aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt & baking powder 3 times. This removes any lumps & also aerates the flour. Keep aside.
- Powder the sugar in your spice grinder.
- Beat the butter for 5 minutes with a hand mixer till creamy. Add the powdered sugar in 4 additions & beat well till the mixture turns white and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one and add the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted dry flour mixture, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased tin & bake at 180C for 30 minutes.