- Cook 500 grams of cleaned prawns adding enough salt (1 tsp.), 3 greenchillies (slit) and 3 small pieces of gamboge/kudampuli (soaked in 2 tbsps. of hot water), 1 tsp. of pounded ginger & 1/2 tsp.of turmeric powder till dry and the prawns are completely coated with the masala.
- Pound together 1.5 cup of shallots/kunjulli, 1/2 tsp. of fennel seeds, 1″ piece of ginger & 5 big garlic cloves.
- Heat 3 tbsps of coconut oil in a wok & fry 1/4 cup of coconut cuts till golden brown in colour. Drain the fried coconut cuts from the oil & keep aside.
- To the same pan, add the pounded mixture & fry till the mixture turns golden brown in colour.
- Add 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder, 1 heaping tsp. of kashmiri chilly powder, 1 heaping tsp. of coriander powder, 1 heaping tsp. of pepper powder & fry on low heat for a minute.
- Add the cooked prawns, curryleaves, 1/2 tsp. of garam masala powder & fry on medium heat till the prawns are well browned.
- Add the fried coconut cuts & mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
Source:- “Lip Smacking Dishes of Kerala” by Mrs. Nimmy SunilKumar