- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Semolina/Rava – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Baking soda – a pinch
For the filling:-
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup
- Powdered cardamom – 1/2 tsp.
- Soak the urad dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water from the urad dal. Do not discard this water.
- Grind the soaked urad dal to a very smooth paste using the reserved water. Add enough salt & mix well.
- Keep this urad dal paste aside for 8-10 hours (for fermentation).
- Dry roast the semolina for 7-8 minutes. Let this cool down completely to room temperature.
- Add the roasted semolina, sugar, ghee & baking soda to the fermented urad dal batter. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Prepare the filling by mixing together the grated coconut, cardamom powder & grated jaggery.
- Grease the idli moulds with ghee. Pour half a ladleful of the sweet idli batter into each mould. Top it with the coconut-jaggery mixture. Cover the filling with the idli batter.
- Let the idlis cook in steam for 20 minutes. Soft idlis with sweet filling is now ready to serve.
- Serve these idlis hot or at room temperature.